Compassionate Neighbours is a free community-led project for anyone living with a life-limiting illness and experiencing loneliness or social isolation. Compassionate Neighbours can really make a difference. They are trained to offer their time, companionship and support to people living in their community.
How Compassionate Neighbours can support you or someone you know
If you, or someone you know, would like some extra support, Compassionate Neighbours can:
- Visit weekly for a chat, offering companionship and a listening ear
- Help you, do the things you like doing
- Help you, or someone you know, stay connected to your friends and the community
This support is provided free of charge.
Could you benefit from this service?
If you live in North London and are living with a life-limiting illness and experiencing loneliness or social isolation, or if you care for someone that fits this criteria, you can access this project.
Could you be a Compassionate Neighbour?
If you think you’ve got what it takes to take on this very rewarding role, we’d love to hear from you. We run regular training programmes, so get in touch to find out when the next programme is starting. You will be matched with someone, known as your ‘community member’, to visit in your local community, ideally within a walkable distance from where you live or work.
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Make a difference to people in the community who may be isolated due to long term/terminal health conditions
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Connect with and help others to connect with their local community
- Learn new skills and have opportunities for further development
- Be part of a wider network of Compassionate Neighbours
- Join a growing social movement in your local community, empowering people at end of life.
Anything else you need to know
- You must be 18 years old or over to do this role
The next training session will take place on:
Saturday 22 September and Saturday 29 September at North London Hospice, 47 Woodside Avenue, N12 8TT
Thursday 11 October and Friday 12 October (venue TBC)
Thursday 18 October & Thursday 25 October (venue TBC)
To refer to the Compassionate Neighbours Project
To download a Referral Form to access support, please click here
Referral Forms can be posted to: Compassionate Neighbours Project, North London Hospice, 47 Woodside Avenue, London, N12 8TT
Referral Forms can be emailed to: email@example.com
Contact the Compassionate Neighbours Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call 020 8343 8841.