North London Hospice Finchley marks 20th birthday

  • Published date
  • Author
    NLH Admin
  • Category
    North London Hospice

BalloonCake, champagne and lots of cheers marked the 20th birthday of North London Hospice in Finchley on Monday 17 September. Patients, staff and volunteers gathered round a cake and belted out happy birthday to commemorate the work that has been achieved since the hospice first opened in Woodside Avenue, North Finchley, in 1992. The hospice has continued to grow and currently cares for approximately 1,350 patients with life-limiting illnesses a year, as well as their families and friends. Medical director Chris Baxter, who has worked at the hospice since it first opened its doors, said: “The years have disappeared in a flash. The hospice has changed and developed and it’s great we’re still here working to help the community. “I feel proud of what the whole team has achieved, including the paid staff and volunteers, and the community who support us. It’s a great privilege to be able to help patients and their relatives through very difficult times in their lives. I feel humbled.” The hospice marked the occasion with a tea party and then gathered outside for a group photograph. It costs NLH £6million to deliver its services each year. The NHS funds 23 per cent of these costs but the remaining 77 per cent need to be met through fundraising. As a result, the hospice relies heavily on volunteers, including 77-year-old Carol Halls who works once a week on the reception. She said: “I started coming here just a few weeks after it opened. It’s been such a friendly place to be – I have no intention of stopping any time soon.” CakePatient Carole Matalon, 56, who has kidney cancer, said: “I have known the hospice almost from day one because I lived in Finchley when I was a child. “I have seen it grow over the years but I didn’t think I’d ever be a patient here. But since I’ve been here I couldn’t have been treated better. The staff are absolutely wonderful. You only have to press a button and they’re there. Special thanks to Katy Made Cakes in Crouch End, Funky Fab Cakes in Finchley, Fun Party Ltd in East Barnet, Sainsbury’s in Edgware and Ds Print Services in Winchmore Hill. To see more pictures from the day follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/NorthLondonHospice.

Sign up for our newsletter

For the latest fundraising, events and news from North London Hospice.

Click here to sign up to receive our quarterly newsletter.